pgAdmin corrupts pgpass.conf on windows

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgAdmin corrupts pgpass.conf on windows
Date: 2006-05-15 22:17:02
Lists: pgadmin-support

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix for it? It seems that pgAdmin
(v.1.4.1 for sure, but I think some prior versions as well) on Windows
corrupt the pgpass.conf file by deleting existing entries and adding
"garbage" ones. This is not a huge problem for pgAdmin itself, although
this presents itself as pgAdmin "forgetting" the password that it had
previously remembered for you and making you type it again -- a minor
annoyance. Where it ends up being really disruptive for me is that it
trips my psql runs and various scripts that rely on my passwords being
set.

Are there any plans to fix the problem? Is it at all possible to change
the behavior so that psql and pgAdmin to not rely on the same
pgpass.conf? Is there any configuration variable that I can set for
pgAdmin to make it point to a different pgpass.conf

As an example, below is my actual pgpass.conf file as of today after a
few battles between pgAdmin and psql for control over it (I have changed
usernames and passwords to protect the innocent). And no, I do not have
a server named "7" -- these are just truncated garbage lines inserted by
pgAdmin. the sequences of #s are places where pgAdmin has deleted the
lines after the comment, so it used to look like this:

#
servername1:5432:*:moo:goo
servername1:5432:*:gai:pan
#
servername2:5432:*:moo:goo
servername2:5432:*:gai:pan

and pgAdmin made it look like this:

#
#

Here are the complete pgpass file contents:

#
#
#
localhost:5432:*:foo:foo