Re: BUG #5599: Vacuum fails due to index corruption issues

From: Hitesh Bhambhani <hitesh(dot)bhambhani(at)asg(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5599: Vacuum fails due to index corruption issues
Date: 2010-08-05 11:55:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Greg, thanks for your answers.

My comments below...

[HiteshB] I have noted your recommendation and will work with our Product Management to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Although we can't change the version that the customer has installed (8.2.9-1).

> Secondly we don't recommend running VACUUM FULL routinely. It should only be
> necessary in extraordinary circumstances. Normally a plain VACUUM (or VACUUM
> ANALYZE or VACUUM VERBOSE) should be sufficient as long as it's being run
> regularly. Regular VACUUM without the "FULL"
> has much less impact on the system.

[HiteshB] Point noted. The decision to use VACUUM FULL is something we'll re-examine.
Could you give an example of what an 'extraordinary circumstance' would be?

> "Permission denied" smells like a Windows problem with concurrent file
> operations. Are you sure you're not running any anti-virus software or backup
> software which could have these files open and prevent Postgres from
> performing regular file operations on its files? Many people have reported
> other problems with anti-virus software in particular.

[HiteshB] We have worked with the customer to exclude the postgre directory from their antivirus scans. Hopefully we won't see this Permission issue again.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Hitesh