Re: R: R: DELETE queries slow down

From: "Gregory Williamson" <Gregory(dot)Williamson(at)digitalglobe(dot)com>
To: "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, "Galantucci Giovanni" <Giovanni(dot)Galantucci(at)italtel(dot)it>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: R: R: DELETE queries slow down
Date: 2007-09-19 11:25:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Galantucci Giovanni" <Giovanni(dot)Galantucci(at)italtel(dot)it> wrote:

> No, I perform a single DELETE for about 80000/100000 rows at a time.
>
> Yesterday I tried to raise the parameter default_statistics_target on the file postgresql.conf, setting it to 50 (previously it was set to 10) and everything went ok.
>
> It seems that postgres needs some time to adapt itself to sudden changes in the way I use the DB, maybe to adapt its planner to the new way of use. I think that tuning this parameter could be enough to help postgres update it's planner faster.
>
> Do you think it could be reasonable?

Based on the information you've given and the responses you've made,
I think you're as likely to roll a 1d6 and get the right solution as
anything else.

Good luck.

LOL ... hit the nail right on the head ...

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)