Trying to execute query on the lost connection makes pgAdmin 1.12 Beta 2 crash

From: valgog <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trying to execute query on the lost connection makes pgAdmin 1.12 Beta 2 crash
Date: 2010-06-23 09:02:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hallo,

We are usually connecting to the databases on the remote server farm
using SSH tunnels (using puTTY 0.60). So the connections are usually
going to localhost:TUNNELPORT. The problem is, that every time the
connection is dropped by SSH (dropped by our ISP at least once a day),
pgAdmin cannot reconnect to the database any longer. It was an issue
from the earlier versions of the pgAdmin and we are actually used to
it, but hope, that 1.12 was supposed to solve the issue. Sometimes,
espessially when there are 2 puTTY windows with the same tunnel
defined, and the connection is dropped, pgAdmin crashes.

On the pgAdmin Version 1.12.0 Beta 2 (Jun 3 2010, rev: 8398:8401):

This time it was again 2 puTTY windows connecting to the same database
machine using. Tunnels are defined identically on that both puTTY
instances. After connection was dropped, I restored the connection on
the one tunnel, and forgot to close the second puTTY windows (probably
with kind of hanging tunnel). After that I tried to execute a simple
query like "SELECT 1", first try pgAdmin showed:
in the Messages tab, and the second try crashed the pgAdmin.

In case, when there was only one tunnel, and connection is dropped,
the query correctly shows the message, that the connection cannot be
established, but does not reconnect after the tunnel is restored and
functioning again. Though it correctly reconnects, when refreshing the
object tree after tunnel is functioning again.

With best regards,

-- Valentine Gogichashvili