Re: MacOSX and pg_service

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)spamcop(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MacOSX and pg_service
Date: 2012-01-26 13:51:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 26/01/2012, at 01:33, Tim Uckun wrote:

>> With the informations you told us, I can only conclude that the problem
>> is not pgAdmin or the pg_service file, but Mac OS X.
>
> You may be right. I was not having this problem with Linux.

You may have the same problem that I have - that when MacOS falls asleep, it truly doesn't allow any activity, including network activity, and thus the connection is not kept alive. I see this with all my interfaces to PostgreSQL (which resides on a different machine on the same network), not just pgAdmin. They all require reconnect after the Mac has been sleeping.

Linux machines tend not to be set up to sleep at all (at least my desktop Linuxes never fully sleep, just have their monitors sleep), and thus you may not have the same problem on your Linux.

I still wish it would be easier to reconnect after a connection is dropped in pgAdmin.

Herouth