Re: Uh, I change my mind about commit_delay + commit_siblings (sort of)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Uh, I change my mind about commit_delay + commit_siblings (sort of)
Date: 2012-05-31 14:00:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 31 May 2012 13:16, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Frankly, I think this whole thing should be pushed to 9.3.

> What matters is that we have a patch that provides a massive
> performance gain in write performance in just a few lines of code, and
> that should be committed to 9.2.

I agree with Robert on this. This patch hasn't had *nearly* enough
testing to justify cramming it into 9.2 at this point. AFAIK the
claim of "massive performance gain" is based on a single test case run
by a single person, which doesn't even give me any confidence that it
doesn't break anything, much less that it's a win across the board.

If we want to finish the beta cycle in a reasonable time period and get
back to actual development, we have to refrain from adding more
possibly-destabilizing development work to 9.2. And that is what
this is.

Add it to the upcoming CF, please.