Re: Duplicate Workers entries in some EXPLAIN plans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Maciek Sakrejda <maciek(at)pganalyze(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate Workers entries in some EXPLAIN plans
Date: 2019-10-16 07:16:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Maciek Sakrejda <maciek(at)pganalyze(dot)com> writes:
> I ran into an odd behavior with some EXPLAIN results in Postgres 11.5. I
> noticed this with JSON format first, but similar issues exist with the
> other formats as well for this query. I think I can follow up with the
> query and full plan if needed, but essentially, the issue is that the Sort
> node has two different entries for the "Workers" key (something that
> technically JSON does allow, but such JSON structures are very difficult to
> work with, and JSON library support for them is poor).

Yeah, this was already complained of here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/41ee53a5-a36e-cc8f-1bee-63f6565bb1ee%40dalibo.com

I think the text-mode output is intentional, but the other formats
need more work. We also need to think about whether we can change
this without big backwards-compatibility problems.