Re: Bug in triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Oleg Serov <serovov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in triggers
Date: 2010-03-05 22:32:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> It does seem weird that assigning NEW to var changes the value; I'm
>> not sure why that happens. Is that what you're asking about?

> Anyone else have an opinion on whether this is a bug?

It's arguably a bug, but since we lack consensus on whether NULL and
ROW(NULL,NULL,...) are the same thing, it's difficult to make a
bulletproof case either way. In any case nothing is likely to get done
about it in the near term because it's wired into plpgsql's
implementation. Changing from row to record representation of such
variables is possible but would probably have side effects, ie, it would
create new compatibility issues of unknown seriousness. I'm not too
optimistic about the performance implications either.

I think it might be material for a TODO item, but I don't want to
consider any immediate fixes.