Re: Bug in date arithmetic

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "PG Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in date arithmetic
Date: 2009-08-24 23:48:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I realize I'm in a minority on this, but I would also prefer an error.
> I expect things like

> SELECT "date" + (INTERVAL '1' YEAR)

> to just work.

Uh, I think you're confused. That certainly works, and I didn't hear
anyone proposing to change it. The issue is about undecorated literals.
If we start throwing errors for those, the fallout will make the 8.3
implicit-cast changes look like a day at the beach. I believe that
it would also violate the SQL spec in numerous places --- whether you
like it or not, the concept of context-dependent type resolution is
built into the standard.