Re: Representation of ResourceOwnerIds (transient XIDs) in system views (lazy xid assignment)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Representation of ResourceOwnerIds (transient XIDs) in system views (lazy xid assignment)
Date: 2007-08-29 19:32:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> Since generating transient XIDs (named ResourceOwnerIDs in my patch, since
> their lifetime is coupled to the lifetime of a transaction's toplevel
> resource owner) seems to be to way to go for lazx xid assignment, I need
> to find a way to represent them in the pg_locks view.

This is going very far towards gilding the lily. Try to avoid loading
the patch down with a new datatype.

I'm inclined to think that it'd be sufficient to show the high half of
the ID (that is, the session number) in pg_locks, because there will
never be cases where there are concurrently existing locks on different
localTransactionIds. This could probably be displayed in the
transactionID columns, which would mean we're abusing the user-visible
xid datatype, but I don't see much harm in it.