Re: logical replication launcher crash on buildfarm

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: logical replication launcher crash on buildfarm
Date: 2017-03-28 01:47:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28/03/17 03:31, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 27/03/17 19:01, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>>> Robert, Petr, either of you planning to fix this (as outlined elsewhere
>>> in the thred)?
>>
>> Oh, I didn't realize anybody was looking to me to fix this. I sort of
>> thought that it was fallout from the logical replication patch and
>> that Petr or Peter would deal with it. If that's not the case, I'm
>> not totally unwilling to take a whack at it, but I don't have much
>> personal enthusiasm for trying to figure out how to make dynamic
>> to me to fix, it's likely to get a hard-coded check for some
>> hard-coded name.
>>

> It affects parallel workers same way, I'll write patch for HEAD soon,
> 9.6 probably with some delay. I'll expand the InternalBgWorkers thing
> that was added with logical replication to handle this in similar
> fashion how we do fmgrtab.

Btw now that I look at the code, I guess we'll want to get rid of
bgw_main completely in HEAD given that we can't guarantee it will be
valid even for shared_preload_library libraries. For older branches I
would leave things as they are in this regard as there don't seem to be
any immediate issue for standard binaries.