postgresql performance, smp vs non-smp

From: Kyle <kaf(at)_nwlink_(dot)_com_>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql performance, smp vs non-smp
Date: 2000-02-24 18:50:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Has anyone done any performance metrics for PostgreSQL on smp vs
non-smp systems? I'm guessing it won't add much, as the hard disk
performance is probably a greater concern for a database (assumption).

My situation is I need some new hardware and am strapped for cash. My
options are a single processor (probably Intel PII 450 or comparable)
or a dual system based on the same. It'll be running PostgreSQL and
Apache (yeah, I know I ought to separate them onto different machines
but humor me here). I'm exploring how Apache and PostgreSQL fair with
dual processor systems. Given that I'll have both running, it may be
a wise choice. Any wisdom people have would be very useful.

Thanks,
-Kyle
kaf(at)_nwlink_(dot)_com_
remove underscores to reply