Re: db growing out of proportion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: db growing out of proportion
Date: 2003-05-30 13:11:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-performance

Peter Childs <blue(dot)dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> On Fri, 30 May 2003, Tomas Szepe wrote:
>> Trouble is, as the rows in the tables get deleted/inserted/updated
>> (the frequency being a couple thousand rows per minute), the database
>> is growing out of proportion in size.

> Would more regular vacuum help. I think a vaccum every hour may do
> the job.

Also note that no amount of vacuuming will save you if the FSM is not
large enough to keep track of all the free space. The default FSM
settings, like all the other default settings in Postgres, are set up
for a small installation. You'd probably need to raise them by at least
a factor of 10 for this installation.