Re: Request to be allotted a project or a feature in pipeline

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Utsav Parmar <utsavp0213(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Request to be allotted a project or a feature in pipeline
Date: 2019-12-16 14:09:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2019-12-15 at 21:56 +0530, Utsav Parmar wrote:
> I'm Utsav Parmar, pursuing my B. Tech in Computer Engineering. I like to work on new technologies
> and am currently looking for open-source projects to contribute to.
>
> As it may turn out, I've got a college project in my curriculum this semester under
> “Software Development Practice”, and I'd like to work upon a project and/or a feature
> in pipeline spanning over 3 months in PostgreSQL organization as a part of the same
> college project. My mentor cum professor has already agreed for the same, given that
> I get approval from one of the maintainers. So, if possible, will you please allot me
> something to work upon?
>
> Thank you for your time. Looking forward to hearing from you.

One thing that we can never have enough of is reviewers, that is people who examine
patches in the commitfest and give feedback on them.
Look here for details: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch

Code review is definitely part of software development practice, and
reading and understanding the code of experienced developers can teach
you a lot. Another nice aspect is that this is an activity that can easily
be adjusted to span three months; if you embark on a new feature, the
three months may pass without your patch getting accepted.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe