Re: [HACKERS] kqueue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>, Torsten Zuehlsdorff <mailinglists(at)toco-domains(dot)de>, Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] kqueue
Date: 2020-01-22 16:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com> writes:
> On 21/01/2020 02:06, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BhUKGJAC4Oqao%3DqforhNey20J8CiG2R%3DoBPqvfR0vOJrFysGw%40mail.gmail.com

> I had a NetBSD 8.0 VM lying around and I gave the patch a spin on latest
> master.
> With the kqueue patch, a pgbench -c basically hangs the whole postgres
> instance. Not sure if it's a kernel issue, HyperVM issue o what, but
> when it hangs, I can't even kill -9 the postgres processes or get the VM
> to properly shutdown. The same doesn't happen, of course, with vanilla
> postgres.

I'm a bit confused about what you are testing --- the kqueue patch
as per this thread, or that plus the WaitLatch refactorizations in
the other thread you point to above?

I've gotten through check-world successfully with the v14 kqueue patch
atop yesterday's HEAD on:

* macOS Catalina 10.15.2 (current release)
* FreeBSD/amd64 12.0-RELEASE-p12
* NetBSD/amd64 8.1
* NetBSD/arm 8.99.41
* OpenBSD/amd64 6.5

(These OSes are all on bare metal, no VMs involved)

This just says it doesn't lock up, of course. I've not attempted
any performance-oriented tests.