Re: Command Triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command Triggers
Date: 2011-12-01 18:21:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tuesday, November 08, 2011 06:47:13 PM Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> exception to that rule would be SELECT INTO and CREATE TABLE AS SELECT,
>> and my proposal would be to add specific call sites to the functions
>> I've provided in the attached patch rather than try to contort them into
>> being a good citizen as a utility command.

> I would very much prefer to make them utility commands and rip out the
> executor support for that.
> Is there something making that especially hard that I overlooked? The
> infrastructure for doing so seems to be there.

Well, I think the main problem is going to be shunting the query down
the right parsing track (SELECT versus utility-statement) early enough.
Making this work cleanly would be a bigger deal than I think you're
thinking.

But yeah, it would be nicer if the executor didn't have to worry about
this. +1 if you're willing to take on the work.