Re: PITR Error Message assistance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR Error Message assistance
Date: 2004-06-30 14:58:44
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> + elog(WARNING, "could not set notify for archiver to read log file
>> %u, segment %u",

> Reason? (disk full, network down, leap year?)

> I think elog() calls don't get translated. You should always use
> ereport. Tom would know more about the distinction.

elog is deprecated except for debugging or "can't-happen" messages.
Anything user-facing ought to be reported with ereport. In this case
elog might be okay --- it's not clear to me from this snippet whether
the condition is one a user would be likely to see.

There's plenty of detail about all this in chapter 45 of the docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/source.html
and I think most of Peter's comments trace directly to items in the
message style guide there.