Re: pg_restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore
Date: 2007-10-28 22:18:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Bob Pawley <rjpawley(at)shaw(dot)ca> writes:
> The latest in the saga -
> By using - pg_restore -h localhost -d PDW -U postgres aurel.sql

> I get the message - pg_restore: input file does not appear to be a valid
> archive.

Oh, I just twigged that you are using a plain-SQL dump file (that is,
you didn't specify -Fc or -Ft to pg_dump). For plain-SQL dumps you
should not use pg_restore at all; you feed those to psql.

This bites enough newbies that I'm thinking the above message ought to
inclue a HINT to use psql directly. We haven't previously used hints
in client-side messages but this seems to need one. Anyone have
thoughts about how to phrase and format it?

(BTW, I just fixed pg_restore to always mention the file name it
attempted to open after getting an fopen failure.)