Re: Missing row after update

From: Dinsdale <russ(dot)haley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing row after update
Date: 2012-06-07 18:23:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jun 7, 12:44 pm, adrian(dot)kla(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com (Adrian Klaver) wrote:
> On 06/07/2012 06:57 AM, Dinsdale wrote:
>  > Hi there. I am new to Postgresql but very familiar with RDBMS. We are
>  > running 8.4 on windows serer 2008 r2. I was updating a record through
>  > pgAdmin and was being an a$$ and pressed the run button multiple times
>  > and then the record just disappeared. Update query:
>  >
>  > update jaas_login set password=md5(login_name || ':' || realm_name ||
>  > ':Password123'), has_logged_in = false, modified=now(),
>  > failed_attempts=0 where login_name like 'CompanyAdmin(at)%';
>
> So just to be clear the above was what was run multiple times?
>
>  >
>  > I cannot find the record at all so tried to re-insert it and the query
>  > just runs and runs and runs.
>
> Select * from jaas_login where login_name like CompanyAdmin(at)%'; shows
> nothing?
>
> What is your INSERT query?
>  >
>  > We thought we had backups of this DB but all we have are dump files
>  > and I really really don't want to have to restore if I can avoid it. I
>  > find it hard to believe that a db as advanced as postgresql will just
>  > "lose" data and there has to be some explaination for where the record
>  > is.
>
> I tend to doubt it just disappeared.
>  >
>  > Any help would really save my butt. Thanks
>  >
>  > Dinsdale
>  >
>
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian(dot)kla(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com
>
> --

I tried every select query I could think of including with no where
clause and simply searching manually for the record but it was just
not there. I had someone else verify this as well. I didn't think it
could just disappear either. We finally decided to use the dump file
and re-create the database but just before that I tried a backup and
got an error about a missing attribute on relid xxxx. Someone with
more Postgres experience said that the table was corrupted and i
should just rebuild, so we did.

Please note that I CANNOT reproduce this in our QA! I think maybe the
issue noted by steve below may be the problem.