Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Conference "OSS 2.0 : Leveraging the Open Source community for business"

From: "Dirk Riehle" <dirk(at)riehle(dot)org>
To: "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "PostgreSQL Advocacy List" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Conference "OSS 2.0 : Leveraging the Open Source community for business"
Date: 2008-05-22 22:51:23
Lists: pgeu-general pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:28:59AM +0200, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>> The workshop is open to all researchers and members of the OSS community.
>> The Organizing Committee will select the participants through a double blind
>> review process. At least one author of each accepted submission must attend
>> the workshop and all workshop participants must pay the workshop
>> registration fee.
>
> Does this really mean I'd have to pay to hold a presentation? Or did I
> completely misunderstand this?

It is an academic conference, and typically participation in a
workshop at a conference requires you register for the conference. The
conference costs money, and sometimes (as in this case) the workshop
as well (in addition).

Before anyone gets upset: These academic conference are comparatively
cheap, certainly cheaper than commercial conferences, and they are
budgeted to break even (non-profit behind it). But of course it is
more expensive than a free unconference or something.

Being a presenter doesn't buy you anything unless you have been
specifically invited by the chairs.

Dirk

--
Phone: +1 650 215 3459