Re: Proposal: Adding json logging

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: David Arnold <dar(at)xoe(dot)solutions>
Cc: John W Higgins <wishdev(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Adding json logging
Date: 2018-04-15 21:05:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 15, 2018, at 12:16, David Arnold <dar(at)xoe(dot)solutions> wrote:
>
> Core-Problem: "Multi line logs are unnecessarily inconvenient to parse and are not compatible with the design of some (commonly used) logging aggregation flows."

I'd argue that the first line of attack on that should be to explain to those consumers of logs that they are making some unwarranted assumptions about the kind of inputs they'll be seeing. PostgreSQL's CSV log formats are not a particular bizarre format, or very difficult to parse. The standard Python CSV library handles them just file, for example. You have to handle newlines that are part of a log message somehow; a newline in a PostgreSQL query, for example, needs to be emitted to the logs.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com