Re: Slow delete times??

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: alvarezp(at)alvarezp(dot)ods(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow delete times??
Date: 2004-01-24 01:44:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Octavio Alvarez" <alvarezp(at)alvarezp(dot)ods(dot)org> writes:
> Please tell me if this timing makes sense to you for a Celeron 433 w/
> RAM=256MB dedicated testing server. I expected some slowness, but not this
> high.

I'll bet you have foreign keys referencing this table, and the
referencing columns do not have indexes. PG will let you do that
... but it makes updates and deletes horribly slow. You generally
want to add those indexes.

If they *are* indexed, check for datatype mismatches. That's
another thing that kills performance ...