Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

From: Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Gregory Brail <gregbrail(at)google(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Date: 2017-09-26 12:20:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 26/09/17 10:55, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 26 September 2017 at 15:26, Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com
> <mailto:aht(at)ongres(dot)com>> wrote:
>

>     That's better than nothing. But as much as interoperable json
> may be, people still need to talk the (binary) replication
> protocol to use it.
>

> No, they don't.
>
> They can use the SQL interface to logical decoding.

    AFAIK the SQL interface was also designed for testing, not for
production use...

> We could enhance that with a few small changes to make it a lot more
> useful too. Most importantly, allow a long-polling model, where you
> can wait if there's nothing to consume rather than getting an
> immediate empty result-set.

    Oh, that's a completely different perspective! Do we have any
support for long-polling style queries (not that I know of). It's indeed
a cool thing: SQL queries that return "live" results as soon as they
happen. I don't see this restricted to logical decoding. Actually, this
is what PipelineDB, among other things, seem to do. +1 for that, but I
believe it's a different story.

> I expect the walsender protocol to be dealt with by client drivers,
> not user applications, much like you never really deal with the
> regular libpq protocol in your app. PgJDBC and psycopg2 already
> support it. It'd be nice if libpq offered some helper interfaces for C
> apps, and I'd help review any such patch.

    Fair enough.

    Álvaro

--

Alvaro Hernandez