Re: Backpatching of "Teach the regular expression functions to do case-insensitive matching"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backpatching of "Teach the regular expression functions to do case-insensitive matching"
Date: 2011-05-07 16:41:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On the flip side, the risk of it flat-out blowing up seems pretty
> small. For someone to invent their own version of wchar_t that uses
> something other than Unicode code points would be pretty much pure
> masochism, wouldn't it?

Well, no, that's not clear. The C standard has pretty carefully avoided
constraining the wchar_t representation, so implementors are free to do
whatever is most convenient from the standpoint of their library routines.
I could easily see somebody deciding to do something that wasn't quite
Unicode because it let him re-use lookup tables designed for some other
encoding, or some such.

Now it's also perfectly possible, maybe even likely, that nobody's done
that on any platform we care about. But I don't believe we know that
with any degree of certainty. We definitely have not made any effort to
establish whether it's true --- for example, we have no regression tests
that address the point. (I think that collate.linux.utf8 touches on it,
but we're a long way from being able to run that on non-glibc
platforms...)