Re: silence GCC4 warning

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: silence GCC4 warning
Date: 2005-07-05 03:45:04
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> A simple test shows that this is not the case, even with lots of -W
>> options.

> Right -- AFAICS we only get the following warnings of this class with
> GCC 4.0 on current sources:

Hmm ... my comments were based on experiments with a prerelease gcc4
that was circulating inside Red Hat; IIRC it showed some hundreds of
warnings of this type on the PG sources :-(. It sounds like they've
improved it somewhat, but I'm still not clear on what it is warning
about that prior releases did not.