Re: Editing config files which are not in database directory

From: "Andrus" <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Editing config files which are not in database directory
Date: 2009-10-01 09:02:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

>Unless you're running pgAdmin directly on the server, you can't I'm
afraid. This is a security restriction in the adminpack contrib module
in PostgreSQL itself.

postgresql superuser has access to those files. So this is is a bug:
implementation restricts access granted by Linux file system.
Also in this case pgAdmin should *not* open bogus files for editing.

Btw. Using file functions is a joke. Probably for this reason they are not
added to postgresql core.

Can we create long-waited patch to postgres to allow read log, postgres and
pg_hba files directly, without using file system and
writing postgres and pg_hba files directly.

Long time ago I posted the idea of creating system table pg_conf

Then for reading we can use

SELECT postgresql, pg_hba
FROM pg_conf

and for writing

UPDATE pg_conf SET pg_hba= '... new value '

Then postgresql can translate those requests to file system calls itself.

Andrus.