Re: Oracle / Postgres Interface

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle / Postgres Interface
Date: 2004-09-21 18:08:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org> writes:

> "Shah, Sameer" <SShah(at)vicr(dot)com> writes:
>
> > 1. I have DataBase-A which is Oracle on Server A with FunctionA
> > (PLSQL)
> > 2. I have DataBase-B which is Postgress on Server B with FunctionB
> > (PgSQL)
> > 3. I need to call FunctionA from FunctionB
>
> As far as I know, the on'y way to do this is to write a Postgres
> function (function B) in C that links with the Oracle client libraries,
> connects to Oracle, and calls your function A.

If performance isn't an issue it might be faster to get going using a PerlU
function in Postgres that uses DBD::Oracle to connect to Oracle.

It's the same thing but you don't have to learn two new C APIs. If you already
know how to use Pro*C and the postgres C API then there's probably no benefit.

--
greg