Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: <gsstark(at)MIT(dot)EDU>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS
Date: 2006-06-08 00:27:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:

> Greg Stark said:
>
> > Or alternatively if people want to keep English-like SQL style grammar:
> >
> > ALTER TABLE table INHERIT parent
> > ALTER TABLE table NO INHERIT parent
>
> That could work ... or maybe UNINHERIT would read better than NO INHERIT.

DISINHERIT maybe?

While creating unreserved keywords isn't the end of the world it seems better
to stick to the vocabulary already there if possible. It makes it easier for
the user to remember how to spell commands. That's why I didn't suggest fixing
the DROP INHERITS ambiguity by inventing something like REMOVE INHERITS.

--
greg