Re: OpenVMS?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OpenVMS?
Date: 2010-02-16 21:04:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

scrappy(at)hub(dot)org ("Marc G. Fournier") writes:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> I hate to pour cold water on this, but why is it worth adding
>> support for a platform that has such marginal usage.
>
> Because someone feels like dedicating their resources to it ... ?

But adding it in would require *some* degree of thought on the part of
committers as to "what might break VMS builds?"

If someone wants to make a branch to run on VMS, that would be a well
and fine thing.

It is quite likely that once we're on Git, that might be easily managed
by having a repo which feeds off "official" releases, modifying only in
those places where VMS-specific changes are required.

It might even turn out to be the case that the patches are sufficiently
small and undemanding that it would turn out to be easy to merge into
the "official" release, so as to make it an official platform.

I'd not want to assume that up front, though.
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html