Re: IMMEDIATE constraint enforcement does not comply with the SQL standard

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Jim Finnerty <jfinnert(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IMMEDIATE constraint enforcement does not comply with the SQL standard
Date: 2018-10-09 05:54:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jim> The consequences of non-compliance is much more insidious than it
Jim> at first appears. At stake here is whether PostgreSQL supports
Jim> non-deferrable constraints at all. The purpose of having
Jim> non-deferrable IMMEDIATE constraints in the standard is to make
Jim> query optimizations possible.

Unfortunately the possibility of query optimizations for FKs is already
defeated by the issue of referential actions, where we also violate the
spec.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_vs_SQL_Standard#Trigger_firing_relative_to_referential_constraint_actions

(I just added your issue to that entry, which was already there to
discuss the referential actions vs BEFORE trigger timing.)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)