Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "'Martijn van Oosterhout'" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work
Date: 2006-06-09 18:33:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I was intending to push forward with the idea of being able to get
> numbers out of a canceled EXPLAIN. That will allow you to get some
> information even when the underlying query runs longer than you're
> willing to tolerate. I still say that the number of queries where
> avoiding gettimeofday overhead would transform an intolerable runtime
> into a tolerable one is pretty limited.

Are we still going to subtract out the gettimeofday overhead?

I was always more excited about that than the sampling aspect. I've run into
queries where EXPLAIN ANALYZE results were deceptive due to the gettimeofday
overhead but I've never run into a query where gettimeofday overhead made
running the query under EXPLAIN ANALYZE impractical.

--
greg