Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution
Date: 2009-10-22 10:00:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> be seen as one.) And the Oracle-compatible option will be attractive
> to people coming in from that side. Reviewing megabytes of pl/sql
> code for this kind of gotcha is not fun, and the "error" default would
> only help a bit.

What about having a new pl language called plsql (or mabe plosql) where
it behaves like Oracle. The handler could maybe set the environment then
call the plpgsql interpreter. Is it technically sound?

If it is, it's just another way to spell this unfriendly #option syntax
that people do not like. Yet another idea would be to keep the #option
mecanism but spell it differently, in a more plpgsql like way:

create funcion ... language plpgsql
as $$
OPTIONS
lexer_priority = 'table, variable';
DECLARE
v_foo integer;
BEGIN
END;
$$;

I know I don't like #option because it looks and feels "foreign", so t
might just boils down to syntax issue for others too.

Regards,
--
dim