Barman and repmgr Release

From: "Jaime Casanova" <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Barman and repmgr Release
Date: 2012-07-27 19:49:57
Lists: pgsql-announce

2ndQuadrant is happy to announce the release of two tools for PostgreSQL
resilience management:

* Barman is a Backup & Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL that allows
remote backups of multiple servers in business critical environments
and provides assistance during recovery.
1.0.0 - New STABLE release of barman
http://www.pgbarman.org

* Repmgr is an HA and replication cluster management software for
PostgreSQL, providing High Availability and ease of management for
replication users with multiple standbys
1.2.0 - Latest STABLE release of repmgr
2.0beta - Latest BETA version includes Autofailover and Witness Server
http://www.repmgr.org

Barman and Repmgr are fully open source software, released under GPLv3
and are already in production use at multiple business critical sites.
Development has been partially supported through 4CaaSt, a research
project of the European Commission's Seventh Framework programme, as
well as 2ndQuadrant and other sponsors.

Barman and Repmgr are fully supported by 2ndQuadrant 24x7 support and
implementation services.

Further details on all of the above are given below.
* Barman
* Repmgr
* 24x7 Support

Barman
======

Barman's most wanted features include backup catalogues, retention
policies, remote recovery, archiving and compression of WAL files and
backups.

Built on top of PostgreSQL's robust and reliable Point-In-Time-Recovery
technology, Barman allows database administrators to manage the backup
and recovery phases of several PostgreSQL database servers from a
centralised location, using an intuitive command interface.

"We are developing more and more projects with Open Source
technologies and one of the challenges is to find high quality
solutions for our services" - says Marco Betti, Architecture Engineer
at CSI Piemonte - "We found in Barman the optimal solution for
physical backup and disaster recovery of PostgreSQL databases. Barman
is robust and easy to use. Its command interface allows an easy
integration with the existing management tools in our enviroment".

Laura Passigni of Navionics, the leading company in electronic charts,
says that "Barman is an easy to use, yet effective solution, the
perfect companion for the migration of our database from Oracle to
PostgreSQL".

Version 1.0 of Barman includes:

* Remote hot physical backup of multiple PostgreSQL servers
* Management of base backups and WAL files through a catalogue
* Compression of WAL files (bzip2, gzip or custom)
* Point-In-Time-Recovery (PITR)
* Remote and local recovery of a backup for a PostgreSQL server
* Relocation of PGDATA and tablespaces at recovery time
* "ssh" support for remote operations
* "rsync" over "ssh" support for file synchronisation and transfers
* Server status and information
* Integration with standard archiving tools (e.g. "tar")
* Local storage of metadata
* A simple INI configuration file
* Server diagnostics for backup

Full details of downloads and release notes via

http://www.pgbarman.org

The development of Barman by 2ndQuadrant Italia has been made possible
through the contributions of our founding sponsors CSI Piemonte,
Navionics, GestionaleAuto and XCon.

Repmgr
======

Repmgr is an HA and replication cluster management software for
PostgreSQL, providing High Availability and ease of management for
replication users with multiple standbys

1.2.0 - Latest STABLE release of repmgr
* Test ssh connection before trying to rsync
* Add CLUSTER SHOW command
* Add CLUSTER CLEANUP command
* Add function write_primary_conninfo
* Teach repmgr how to get tablespace's location in different
PostgreSQL versionS
* Improve version message

2.0.0 - Latest BETA version includes Autofailover and Witness Server
* Make CLONE command try to make an exact copy including $PGDATA
location
* Add detection of master failure
* Add the notion of a witness server
* Add autofailover capabilities
* Add a configuration parameter to indicate the script to execute
on failover or follow
* Make the monitoring optional and turned off by default, in can
be turned on with --monitor

--
Jaime Casanova www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL