Re: What's a good PostgreSQL guide book?

From: Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman(at)debian(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's a good PostgreSQL guide book?
Date: 2003-03-27 13:05:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Gary Hendricks" <ghendricks(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:

> I'm thinking of buying "Practical PostgreSQL" from O'Reilly.
>
> Has anyone got any comments on this book?

As Christopher Browne pointes out, some of the information is
outdated.

My real criticism, though, would be that *far* too much of a book
about PostgreSQL is an advertisment for the authors' company's
application framework thing. This necessarily means fewer pages for
what you're supposedly there for, PostgreSQL.

> Can anyone suggest alternatives?

I'm on a plane right at the momen , but the _PostgreSQL Developers
Reference_ (I believe that's the title) from SAMS, by Geschwinde &
someone else, is clear, comprehensive, and, on everything I've ever
checked, correct.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Mike
--
I'd write a song called "Senorita with a Necklace of Tears" -- Paul Simon