Re: Postgre capability

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgre capability
Date: 2006-02-26 19:31:45
Lists: pgsql-general

farhad_fh2003(at)yahoo(dot)com (Farhad) wrote:
> I'm looking for any experience on runing an ERP software (Oracle
> application, SAP, PeopleSoft, ...) on top of a postgre data base.

You won't find it, for two reasons:

1. There's no such thing as "postgre"

The proper name is PostgreSQL, though people are often forgiven for
falling back to "postgres".

2. Looking at that list...

- Oracle Applications are an Oracle product, written expressly for
the Oracle "database platform."

- SAP is not the identity of a software product; it is the name of
a large German company that sells something known as R/3.

Deploying R/3 to additional database platforms (I *believe* the
current list of databases is Oracle, Informix, DB2, Microsoft SQL
Server, and SAP-DB) requires that SAP AG rewrite portions of the
R/3 kernel.

You cannot run R/3 atop any database you choose; you must run it on
one of the specific combinations of OS and database that SAP AG
supports. (They actually get more precise than that; historically,
you needed to use a database install that was bundled with R/3.
Thus, an "R/3 on HP/UX and Oracle" installation was a set of CDs
that included both R/3 and Oracle, and that would only run on a
specific release of HP/UX...)
--
output = reverse("moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html