Re: unexpected shutdown

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: <developer(at)wexwarez(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unexpected shutdown
Date: 2007-06-18 19:20:06
Lists: pgsql-general

<developer(at)wexwarez(dot)com> writes:

> My database has shutdown several times in the last couple days. I have no
> idea why. I am running centos and I have not rebooted the server or made
> any configuration changes. I am running postgres 8.2 and it has been
> stable since I installed it about 5 months ago. The databases crashes and
> so my software application goes down. When I restart my application
> everything seems to work fine. But then it crashes again, something
> appears to be corrupt. Here are my logs:
>

> LOG: server process (PID 501) was terminated by signal 9

Signal 9 is SIGKILL which means something outside Postgres is killing Postgres
processes. Either something is doing kill -9 <pid> of a Postgres pid.

There used to be some OSes that recorded a SIGKILL process was killed because
it had run out of memory, but I'm not sure Linux would report it as a SIGKILL.
What does dmesg say, it doesn't have any OOM messages does it?

--
Gregory Stark