Re: looking for some real world performance numbers

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: looking for some real world performance numbers
Date: 2007-10-22 10:44:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
>> Where else do they want to store relational data than in a RDBMS?
>
> Indeed. It seems like we can hardly answer the OP's question without
> asking "compared to what?" If they're afraid an RDBMS won't scale,
> what have they got in mind that they are so certain will scale?

I suspect they're misapplying the lesson Google taught everyone. Namely that
domain-specific solutions can provide much better performance than
general-purpose software.

Google might not use an RDBMS to store their search index (which doesn't need
any of the ACID guarantees and needs all kinds of parallelism and lossy
alorithms which SQL and RDBMSes in general don't excel at), but on the other
hand I would be quite surprised if they stored their Adsense or other more
normal use data structures in anything but a bog-standard SQL database.

--
Gregory Stark