Re: scheduling of index rebuild , analyze , etc...

From: "Jaime Casanova" <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "pgsql-novice\(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduling of index rebuild , analyze , etc...
Date: 2011-07-04 15:11:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za> writes:

> Hi All
>
> I am fairly newbie to Postgresql and need to have the following done.
> ---- There have been a lot of data loads onto one of the
> databases and has resulted in some of the day to day queries to
> become very slow.
> I would like to perhaps Analyze the tables in this database as well as maybe rebuild the indexes (not sure on whether this is the right thing to do
> exactly)

after a big load of data it could be usefull to ANALYZE tables... just
execute ANALYZE no need to rebuild indexes

> Can someone please assist me on how to do this and whether / how this can perhaps be scheduled to be done every so often.

autovacuum take cares of it normally, but if a lot of data was loaded
into several tables it can take a while until autovacuum process all of
them that's why in that case is better to execute ANALYZE manually

--
Jaime Casanova www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL