Re: Query puts 7.3.4 on endless loop but 7.4beta5 is fine.

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jesse Vincent <jesse(at)bestpractical(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Query puts 7.3.4 on endless loop but 7.4beta5 is fine.
Date: 2003-10-30 22:38:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

Well, you might want to try the EXISTS version. I'm not sure if it'll be
faster or slower though. In theory it should be the same.

Hum, I didn't realize the principals table was the largest table. But Postgres
knew that so one would expect it to have found a better plan. The IN/EXISTS
handling was recently much improved but perhaps there's still room :)

SELECT *
FROM tickets
WHERE EXISTS (
SELECT 1
FROM groups
JOIN principals ON (groups.id = principals.objectid)
JOIN cachedgroupmembers ON (principals.id = cachedgroupmembers.groupid)
JOIN users ON (cachedgroupmembers.memberid = users.id)
WHERE lower(users.emailaddress) = 'mallah_rajesh(at)yahoo(dot)com'
AND groups.domain = 'RT::Ticket-Role'
AND groups.type = 'Requestor'
AND principals.principaltype = 'group'
AND groups.instance = tickets.id