Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY?

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>
To: "Jens Schipkowski" <jens(dot)schipkowski(at)apus(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY?
Date: 2006-12-11 16:53:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Jens Schipkowski" <jens.schipkowski 'at' apus.co.at> writes:

> Hello!
>
> In our JAVA application we do multiple inserts to a table by data from
> a Hash Map. Due to poor database access implemention - done by
> another company (we got the job to enhance the software) - we cannot
> use prepared statements. (We are not allowed to change code at
> database access!)
> First, we tried to fire one INSERT statement per record to insert.
> This costs 3 ms per row which is to slow because normally we insert
> 10.000 records which results in 30.000 ms just for inserts.
>
> for(){
> sql = "INSERT INTO tblfoo(foo,bar) VALUES("+it.next()+","+CONST.BAR+");";
> }

You should try to wrap that into a single transaction. PostgreSQL
waits for I/O write completion for each INSERT as it's
implicitely in its own transaction. Maybe the added performance
would be satisfactory for you.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau
Create your personal SMS or WAP Service - visit http://mobilefriends.ch/