Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Aidan Van Dyk" <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Decibel!" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-06 14:58:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:

> And note that one of the major advances in X.org over XFree86 was that all the
> useless garbage was removed from the configuration file, so that the final
> and usable configuration fits on one screen, and you can even write it from
> memory if you dare to.

This is a good point, though I think the big advance wasn't in actually
removing the garbage so much as making it irrelevant. That is, the advances
were in making the server actually work automatically with less manual
configuration.

That's always a noble goal. I would be interested in what parameters people
thought we could eliminate from the initial config file because the server
normally gets it right anyways and users shouldn't have to adjust it anyways.

(I'm specifically *not* referring to sections like the kerberos parameters
which even if most users can leave them alone those who do use that feature
*do* need to adjust those parameters because the server does *not* get them
right automatically)

--
Gregory Stark