Re: What's the point of allow_system_table_mods?

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's the point of allow_system_table_mods?
Date: 2019-05-10 18:51:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres> Why is it so much more dangerous? I've seen plenty of corrupted
Andres> clusters due to people doing DML against the catalogs. I'm OK
Andres> with adding separate GUCs for both, if we want to do that, but
Andres> I do think we shouldn't allow updating the catalogs wthout
Andres> having having the superuser explicitly opt into that.

Be aware that a nonzero number of extensions (postgis especially) do
catalog DML in their install or update scripts. While you might well
think they shouldn't do that, in practice there is usually no viable
alternative.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)