Re: very large db performance question

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: LIANHE SHAO <lshao2(at)jhmi(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: very large db performance question
Date: 2003-11-26 22:03:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

LIANHE SHAO <lshao2(at)jhmi(dot)edu> writes:
> We will have a very large database to store microarray data (may
> exceed 80-100G some day). now we have 1G RAM, 2G Hz Pentium 4, 1
> CPU. and enough hard disk.

> Could anybody tell me that our hardware is an issue or not?

IMHO the size of the DB is less relevant than the query workload. For
example, if you're storying 100GB of data but only doing a single
index scan on it every 10 seconds, any modern machine with enough HD
space should be fine.

If you give us an idea of the # of queries you expect per second, the
approximate mix of reads and writes, and some idea of how complex the
queries are, we might be able to give you some better advice.

-Neil