Re: Open items for 8.2

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open items for 8.2
Date: 2006-09-06 00:34:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane) would write:
>> Chris Browne wrote:
>>> I've got suggested patches for my item (e.g. - --with-openssl causing
>>> contrib stuff to break on AIX); a couple of instances of:
>>>
>>> SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)
>>>
>>> in contrib/dblink/Makefile and contrib/sslinfo seem to do the trick.
>>> I'm not sure of adverse effects for others, so that's only speculative
>>> at this point...
>
>> My guess is that sslinfo needs it because of the use of the SSL
>> libraries.
>
> I just added $(LIBS) to sslinfo's Makefile to fix its build failure on
> Darwin. (I see no reason why libpq should be involved there,
> though.)

> I'm unclear on why AIX would need more than Darwin does to get dblink
> to build.

In the case of dblink/Makefile, it started as

SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq)

which need to be augmented to:

SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)

When I saw the same errors pop up with sslinfo, there was no
SHLIB_LINK definition, so went to:

SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)

It's entirely possible that
SHLIB_LINK = $(LIBS)