"It'd be better if there were not an implicit cast from int8 to text..."

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "It'd be better if there were not an implicit cast from int8 to text..."
Date: 2007-08-18 15:47:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hm, I suppose this "kluge" in gram.y for "substr_list" isn't necessary any
more? Don't really see a downside to leaving it, just thought I would mention
it since I noticed the comment is outdated.

| a_expr substr_for
{
/*
* Since there are no cases where this syntax allows
* a textual FOR value, we forcibly cast the argument
* to int4. This is a kluge to avoid surprising results
* when the argument is, say, int8. It'd be better if
* there were not an implicit cast from int8 to text ...
*/
A_Const *n = makeNode(A_Const);
n->val.type = T_Integer;
n->val.val.ival = 1;
$$ = list_make3($1, (Node *) n,
makeTypeCast($2, SystemTypeName("int4")));
}

--
Gregory Stark