Re: Hot standby and b-tree killed items

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby and b-tree killed items
Date: 2008-12-19 20:54:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> PostgreSQL is much less prone to serialization failures, but it is
> certainly understandable if hot standby replication introduces new
> cases of it.

In this case it will be possible to get this error even if you're just running
a single SELECT query -- and that's the *only* query in the database at all.

A vacuum being replayed -- even in a different database -- could trigger the
error. Or with the btree split issue, a data load -- again even in a different
database -- would be quite likely cause your SELECT to be killed.

--
Gregory Stark