Re: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof

From: Alex <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof
Date: 2012-06-11 19:07:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>> Um.  We oughta fix that.  I'm not necessarily wedded to the old
>> throw-an-error definition, but there seems no good reason for these
>> two syntaxes to act inconsistently.
>
> I agree with that. The URIs may have been done this way as a
> concession to some small fragmentation that may have taken place
> before URIs were standardized, but perhaps the author can speak to
> that (he has been put on the To: list for this mail).

Sorry for the silence.

The original intent was to not error out on any extra parameters from
JDBC or other existing URI implementations. The example of a possible
typo in sslmode=require clearly demonstrates that this was not
a well-thought decision.

Anyway, I can see you've already sorted this out.

--
Alex