Re: Remove fsync ON/OFF as a visible option?

From: Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove fsync ON/OFF as a visible option?
Date: 2015-03-22 21:18:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* David G. Johnston:

> On Sunday, March 22, 2015, Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de> wrote:
>
>> * David G. Johnston:
>>
>> > "​enables or disables data durability ​promise of ACID." ?
>>
>> “fsync = on” only works if the storage stack doesn't do funny things.
>> Depending on the system, it might not be sufficient.
>>

> Allows for (underlying storage not withstanding) or disables, then.

Maybe.

> But that distinction is present no matter what so from the standpoint the
> alternative is no worse and at least tells the user that a key promise of
> RDBMS is being voluntarily waived if they disable this setting.

I don't think this will matter in the end. The existing
postgresql.conf template does not suggest at all that fsync=off makes
things go substantially faster. Administrators obviously get the idea
from somewhere else, and they will continue to follow that advice no
matter what the configuration template says.