Re: Too rigorous assert in reorderbuffer.c

From: Arseny Sher <a(dot)sher(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Lakhin <a(dot)lakhin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Too rigorous assert in reorderbuffer.c
Date: 2019-02-12 16:10:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I thought the blanket removal of the assert() was excessive, and we can
>> relax it instead; what do you think of the attached?
>
> More precisely, my question was: with this change, does the code still
> work correctly in your non-toy case?

Yes, it works. I thought for a moment that some obscure cases where cmax
on a single tuple is not strictly monotonic might exist, but looks like
they don't. So your change is ok for me, reshaping assert is better than
removing. make check is also good on all supported branches.

--
Arseny Sher
The Russian Postgres Company