Re: Building PostgreSQL in external directory is broken?

From: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Building PostgreSQL in external directory is broken?
Date: 2022-07-13 11:59:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> writes:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> To be honest, this is the first time I see anyone trying to build a
> project that is using Autotools from an external directory :) I
> checked the documentation [1] and it doesn't seem that we claim to
> support this.
>
> [1]: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-short.html

That's the short version. The longer version² does claim it's supported:

You can also run configure in a directory outside the source tree,
and then build there, if you want to keep the build directory
separate from the original source files. This procedure is called a
VPATH build. Here's how:

mkdir build_dir
cd build_dir
/path/to/source/tree/configure [options go here]
make

- ilmari

[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/install-procedure.html